|Weekly News Digest
January 2, 2007 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITI’s Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Internet Archive Receives Sloan Foundation Grant
The Internet Archive's efforts to digitize content and make it freely accessible online have received a tremendous boost from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation (www.sloan.org). The foundation is awarding the Internet Archive a grant to bring historical collections from eminent cultural institutions online without any restrictions on their uses. In addition, the Internet Archive, through its work supporting Open Content Alliance (OCA) principles of free and open access to knowledge, said that it has reached a milestone of 100,000 digitized books now publicly available at www.archive.org.
With the new funding, several historical and influential collections will be added to the open library, including the following:
• The Boston Public Library: The John Adams collection, which is the complete personal library of the second president of the U.S.
• The Getty Research Institute: Major collection of books on art and architecture and an alternate collection on the performing arts
• The Metropolitan Museum of Art: The archive of publications issued by the Metropolitan Museum through the present
• The Bancroft Library of the University of California-Berkeley: Key primary texts documenting the California Gold Rush and western expansion
• The Johns Hopkins University Libraries: The James Birney Collection of Anti-Slavery materialsSource: Internet Archive
Zoho Introduces Free Wiki Product
Zoho, a provider of a suite of online office products and productivity tools, has introduced the beta of its free wiki product, Zoho Wiki (http://wiki.zoho.com). Zoho is a brand of the software company AdventNet, Inc.
In addition to the standard wiki features, the new Zoho Wiki offers the following:
- A WYSIWYG editor (Zoho Writer's) that includes features such as spell check, revision history, differences between any two versions, and reverting to any older version.
- Grouping functionality—In addition to setting your Wiki as public (by default) and private, you can have your Wiki viewed and/or edited by a selected group of members.
- Zoho Single Sign-on means you can use your existing Zoho ID to access it (no need for separate signup/in).
- Embedding of objects into wiki pages such as a Zoho Sheet chart, Zoho Show slide show, Zoho Creator application/form, or YouTube video.
- Other than the wiki associated with the username, a user can create two more wikis with a Zoho account. And there is no limitation to the number of pages per wiki.
Vista Equity Partners to Acquire SirsiDynix
SirsiDynix (www.sirsidynix.com), a provider of technology solutions for libraries, announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Vista Equity Partners (www.vistaequitypartners.com), a $1-billion private-equity firm focused on investing in software and technology-enabled businesses. The deal is expected to become final in mid-January following a regulatory review. Terms of the agreement were not released.
For more than 25 years, SirsiDynix has been providing libraries with the software and services to manage their operations. Vista stated that it was very impressed with SirsiDynix's portfolio of solutions, employees, large customer base, and the opportunities that lie ahead for the company. SirsiDynix has about 4,000 library and consortia clients, serving more than 300 million people through more than 20,000 library outlets in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia-Pacific.
Vista founder and managing principal Robert F. Smith said: "We are long-term investors in technology companies that are committed to market leadership. We are tremendously excited about working with SirsiDynix because it is clearly the market leader with a suite of mission-critical software solutions. We look forward to working with the management team to deliver to libraries the solutions they need to fully pursue the opportunities that are available to them."Source: SirsiDynix
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor