|Weekly News Digest
January 4, 2022 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
OverDrive Gives Libby Accessibility Updates
OverDrive is working to make its reading app Libby “more accessible for all readers, including users with a diverse range of visual, motor, and cognitive needs” and has partnered with Fable, “an accessibility platform powered by people with disabilities[,] to interview blind and low vision users directly and hear their feedback on Libby’s user experience.”
Recent improvements include the following:
- Low-vision and blind users can use screen readers to browse, borrow, read ebooks and magazines, and listen to audiobooks in Libby. …
- When using a screen reader, low-vision and blind users can enter ‘Read From Here’ mode to have the text of an ebook or magazine read aloud.
- Shortcuts in Libby’s ebook reader and audiobook player supplement the keyboard navigation.
Upcoming improvements—along with new accessibility features that will be found in the Settings menu—will include the following:
- We are refining the labels and descriptions of all interactive elements, making it easier for users of assistive technologies to understand and interact with the app.
- The in-app menu will no longer open from the side of the app. Instead, it will open full screen. This makes keyboard and screen reader navigation more consistent and helps all users concentrate on the task they are trying to perform in the menu.
For more information, read the blog post.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor