|Weekly News Digest
November 15, 2012 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
OCLC Expands Partnership With Goodreads
OCLC announced that it expanded its strategic partnership with Goodreads, which claims to be the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations, to help provide greater visibility for all libraries. The new agreement pledges to improve Goodreads members’ experience of finding fresh, new things to read through libraries. It will also provide libraries with a way to reach this key group of dedicated readers through social media. As a WorldCat.org traffic partner since 2007, Goodreads has sent more than 5 million web referrals to WorldCat.org.
The expanded partnership includes several components:
- A joint marketing effort to get libraries to join the Goodreads site and create a library “group” page, which will now be listed at the top of the groups page.
- Engagement reports from Goodreads that show how many libraries have joined and created group pages and how fast membership is growing for individual libraries on Goodreads.
- An upcoming webinar held specifically for librarians and library staff members, to learn more about Goodreads and how to optimize the library’s presence.
- Library-specific promotional materials to encourage patron participation in the Goodreads Choice Awards 2012 during November.
- A discussion session planned for ALA Midwinter 2013 to hear library feedback and solicit ideas for additional visibility and collaboration.
“This partnership truly starts to deliver on the power of exposing libraries where potential library users—people who love books and will use libraries—go,” says Cindy Cunningham, director of Partner Programs for OCLC. “The APIs and data available through the WorldShare Platform make it simple for Goodreads to include the aggregated library data of the cooperative in their user experience, which delivers value back to both the end-user and to the participating libraries. I am thrilled to think how much more visible libraries will be on the consumer Web, at a massive scale, as we embark upon this new chapter of our relationship with Goodreads.”
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor