|Weekly News Digest
January 15, 2007 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Mediasurface Links Up With Google Search Appliance
Mediasurface (www.mediasurface.com) and Google (www.google.com) have signed a distribution agreement in which Mediasurface will bundle the Google Search Appliance with Morello, its Web content management system (CMS), enabling the two organizations to provide content management and corporate-strength search facilities in one offering. As part of the agreement, an interface between Morello and the Google Search Appliance has been developed, enabling Morello to use the Google Search Appliance to deliver search results.
The Google Search Appliance is an integrated hardware and software product that searches content and other data stored on a company's Web servers, file servers, content and document management systems, relational databases, and business applications and makes it instantly available from a single familiar search box.
While Morello-delivered sites have always been search engine-friendly, the plug-in for the Google Search Appliance is designed to provide a number of additional advantages for joint customers:
- Mediasurface can now deliver the same, highly familiar Google search experience while searching content managed by Morello on public Web sites and intranets.
- The security model within Morello is fully maintained; a search will only retrieve and display content relevant to the access privileges of the user.
- The integration between Morello and Google Search Appliance ensures that a much richer and highly relevant set of content is delivered than would have been available previously by adding in metadata such as the original content author, the date the content was first published, keywords, and so on, which is held separately within the CMS.
- The Morello content author can create "keymatch" terms that relate to an item of content and can enable certain content to appear at the top of a search result.
- Morello and the Google Search Appliance can now group and manage information for specific audiences.
- Benefits of content management projects can be realized more quickly as content not yet in Morello can be indexed, ranked, and delivered alongside the Morello managed content in a consistent way while the content is being migrated to the new Morello CMS.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor