|Weekly News Digest
June 25, 2007 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITI’s Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
New Open Source Collaborative Software From Mindquarry
Mindquarry (www.mindquarry.com) , an open source collaborative software developer, released its revamped edition of Mindquarry Version 1.1. The stable new platform for file sharing, task management, team collaboration, and w iki editing is now available for free download. The company will soon release its Open Source Collaboration Platform as a hosted solution. Mindquarry said the product is intended to provide a stable and mature open source alternative to proprietary applications such as Microsoft SharePoint or Basecamp.
Highlighted features in Version 1.1 include the following:
- The "time machine" activity timeline allows teams to view older versions of files, wiki pages, and tasks as a first step toward an ultimate undo/redo for all team content.
- The Interlink conveniently links to all files, tasks, or other wiki pages from within the wiki. The link window also contains a search option to find items to interlink.
- Team partners can insert tables and images into wiki pages as easily as inserting these files in office documents, allowing better visualization and structuring of ideas and concepts.
- Easy Tasks and Files Manager allows users to work with Mindquarry online or offline on a Mac, Windows, or Linux operating system. It synchronizes all files and tasks as soon as the user is back online.
- The intuitive graphical user interface clearly separates list views from item views, expediting work productivity.
The Mindquarry platform was developed in Java and built upon a scalable REST architecture with Ajax interfaces and Web 2.0-style user interfaces. Founded in 2006, Mindquarry is privately held and funded by SAP co-founder VC Hasso Plattner. (Recently, InformationWeek picked Mindquarry as one of five startups to watch; www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199904825.)Source: Mindquarry
Marquis Adds Who’s Who in American Politics
Marquis Who’s Who (www.marquiswhoswho.com) announced the addition of Who’s Who in American Politics to its online database. Now available to subscribers as a fully searchable online database, Who’s Who in American Politics provides critical biographical information on about 36,000 key players in the political arena.
The database runs the gamut from George W. Bush to Tim Russert to Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It includes every cabinet member, governor, state legislator, member of Congress, Supreme Court justice, as well as ambassadors, advisors, party officials, and political journalists. Profiles are searchable by name, political office, gender, political party, religion, birthplace and date, and contact address.
The online launch marks the completion of an effort by Marquis to digitize all of its active Who’s Who print titles. The complete Marquis Who’s Who database now offers profiles of nearly 1.4 million of the most notable executives, scientists, educators, athletes, entertainers, political figures, and other industry leaders.Source: Marquis Who’s Who
EBSCO Acquires History Databases From ABC-CLIO
ABC-CLIO (www.abc-clio.com) and EBSCO Publishing (www.epnet.com) have announced a new alliance. EBSCO has acquired two of ABC-CLIO’s databases, Historical Abstracts (HA) and America: History and Life (AHL), and will distribute eight additional history databases plus ABC-CLIO’s online history ebook collection, History Reference Online. The partnership serves to leverage ABC-CLIO’s expertise in the area of history with EBSCO’s content licensing, digitization, and distribution capabilities. ABC-CLIO’s editorial staff will continue producing content for the databases, and Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life will be made available via the EBSCOhost platform.
The distribution partnership makes the following ABC-CLIO databases available through EBSCO Publishing:
- World History: The Modern Era
- World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras
- World Geography: Understanding a Changing World
- American History
- American Government
- State Geography
- Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society
- United States at War: Understanding Conflict and Society
- History Reference Online—a newly released collection of reference ebooks
Librarians will have the convenience of working with their EBSCO representatives to consolidate orders for ABC-CLIO databases with orders for EBSCOhost databases. The databases will continue to be accessed via ABC-CLIO platforms.Source: ABC-CLIO and EBSCO Publishing
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor