|Weekly News Digest
September 18, 2006 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITI’s Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Full-Image Newspaper Collection Launches New Version
ProQuest Information and Learning (http://www.il.proquest.com), exclusive distributor of NewspaperDirect (http://www.newspaperdirect.com) products to libraries in North America, announced the launch of PressDisplay 3.0. The latest version of PressDisplay adds features and functionality—including cross-searching of the entire archive of titles—to the collection of more than 300 titles in the online newspaper collection. PressDisplay provides online access to newspapers from more than 60 countries around the world in more than 35 languages in a full-color, full-page format. The service also provides a 60-day backfile.
Version 3.0 offers the following new features:
- Multititle Searching—users can now search across all titles as well as the entire 60-day rolling archive.
- Front-Page News—the front page of the interface now offers categories such as Top News, Business, Sports, and the World in Pictures.
- Full-Page Printing for All Titles—users can print page images, in addition to the text article-level printing already available in SmartNavigation titles. SmartNavigation is NewspaperDirect's method of displaying newspapers in an interactive format.
- Article Rank—measures the interest or popularity of an article, which is determined by the length of time readers spend on that specific article and by the overall attention the article received from all users. Article Rank is continually updated to reflect the most current reading preferences as determined by PressDisplay readers.
- Related Articles—listed with SmartNavigation articles, so users can read additional articles on similar topics.
- Sound Integration—now readers can listen to an audio version of an article, while simultaneously reading other newspapers or articles or using other applications. Readers simply choose the article they wish to listen to, select the speaker icon, and hear it in Windows Media Player. In many cases, readers can listen to articles in the language they have chosen when using the language translation tool.
- Language Translation of Articles—SmartNavigation titles allow users to translate articles into numerous languages.
- Library Administration Tool—library staff can now control the content that appears on the front page of PressDisplay 3.0 through the use of the new library administration tool. Usage reports are also available.
- My Newspapers—library staff can customize a page to display the newspapers their patrons use most.
- RSS Feeds—for SmartNavigation titles.
- Personal Blogging—Users can post links to full newspapers, articles, thumbnail images, and commentary directly to their personal blogs without leaving PressDisplay. PressDisplay currently supports Blogger, LiveJournal, WordPress, MSN Spaces, and other major blogging systems.
Source: ProQuest Information and Learning
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor