|Weekly News Digest
June 17, 2002 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITI’s Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Alacra Launches Alacra Model
Alacra, Inc., a builder of online tools and services to find, analyze, package, and present business and financial information, has announced the launch of Alacra Model, a Microsoft Excel Add-in that facilitates the retrieval, manipulation, and display of company, industry, and country-specific data.
Alacra Model was developed for financial and marketing analysts who need to regularly retrieve and analyze quantitative business information. Through its Excel-based user interface, it offers analysts flexibility in the customization of presentation and analytics. One unique feature is that users can access content on a transaction basis, which helps companies to better track and bill expenses.
"We developed Alacra Model in response to customer demand for an easy-to-use service that would effortlessly customize and populate an Excel spreadsheet with premium financial, industry, and economic data. We expect many customers will take advantage of the transaction-based pricing model and our ability to readily incorporate proprietary information into their models," said Steven Goldstein, Alacra CEO. "Our goal is to turn around the metaphor for buying data over the Web."
Key applications for Alacra Model are the creation of custom tear sheets, comparable company analysis, and the development of standard financial models. Its features include the following:
- A variety of premium databases that provide company financials, earnings estimates, M&A statistics, company risk statistics, economic data, and more
- A respect for ticker conventions from exchanges around the world
- The ability to populate fields in standard models, such as Weighted Average Cost of Capital (WACC) and Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)
- A rapid integration of customers' proprietary, in-house data
- The inclusion of a standard public Internet connection with XML output, which simplifies integration and prevents potential firewall complications
- A 7-day customer-support line
Source: Alacra, Inc.
STN Releases STN Easy for Intranets
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) has announced that STN International, an online database network for science and technology, now features the STN Easy for Intranets service. STN Easy for Intranets will enable information professionals to create customized sites within their intranets that make the 85 STN Easy-accessible scientific databases directly available to clients throughout their organizations.
"With STN Easy for Intranets, we have given corporate information professionals the ability to serve their clients' sci-tech information needs more effectively," said Suzan Brown, CAS's marketing director. "With IP access, no setup charges, and no HTML programming or IT support needed, information professionals will be able easily to create a customized STN Easy site that is integrated into the corporate intranet and tailored to the needs of the organization."
Among the resources offered by STN Easy for Intranets is an Alert feature for current awareness. Information professionals will be able to use their expertise to set up and maintain current-awareness alerts (SDIs) in any of the 200-plus sci-tech databases on STN and deliver the results to STN Easy for Intranets users.
Source: Chemical Abstracts Service
FluentMedia Expands Industry Content Offerings
FluentMedia, a content-licensing agency of Tribune Media Services, has announced that it will expand its top-tier industry news sources with the addition of the following content:
"The blend of authoritative, respected names in business publishing with top-tier newspapers and wire services means that FluentMedia can satisfy the needs of corporate Web sites that demand comprehensive, reliable coverage," said John Twohey, general manager of FluentMedia.
- Reed Business Information (formerly Cahners)—A major aggregator of trade publications in a wide variety of industries, Reed is providing FluentMedia with content from Variety, Daily Variety, Broadcasting & Cable, Cablevision, Broadband Week, and Wireless Week, among dozens of other titles. Breaking news from several Reed Business Information Web sites will be added later this year.
- CMP Media, LLC—FluentMedia has added content from CMP Media publications Information Week, Network Computing, and Network Magazine, as well as from TechWeb, a technology network for the company's online brands.
- The Daily Deal—This paper for the deal-making community offers news, analysis, commentary, and statistics covering the entire range of financial deals, including venture capital, private equity, IPOs, M&A, bankruptcies, and restructurings.
- PR Newswire—This service offers more than 1,000 corporate press releases daily, including valuable for-the-record earnings statements, new product announcements, and executive changes.
- Newsbytes—FluentMedia has integrated a daily feed from this technology news service produced by The Washington Post.
Using advanced filtering technology, FluentMedia delivers customized packages of news, commentary, and analysis to corporate clients for use on their intranets, extranets, and public marketing sites. Content is drawn from major newspapers, trade publications, and other sources.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor