|Weekly News Digest
November 1, 2004 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
EBSCO Adding Full-Text Conference Papers
EBSCO Publishing has entered into an agreement with All Academic, Inc. that will provide researchers with access to a collection of full-text conference papers from scholarly societies. The partnership with All Academic will bring nearly 25,000 full-text conference papers into appropriate EBSCOhost databases including Academic Search Premier, Business Source Premier, and Communication & Mass Media Complete. The companies anticipate that approximately 20,000 records will be added to EBSCOhost databases on an annual basis beginning in 2005.
All Academic, Inc. provides software and data management solutions for the business, research, and scholarly communities. The company provides tools used in conjunction with society conventions that allow presenters to make their conference papers available as part of a conference archive. Participating societies include American Historical Association, American Political Science Association, American Sociological Association, International Communication Association, and many others. As a result, the company controls an archive of thousands of high-end conference papers, often including deep backfiles.
Source: EBSCO Publishing
Entopia Announces K-Bus 3
Entopia, Inc. announced the launch of K-Bus 3, the latest version of its software that delivers "third generation information discovery." The company exhibited its new release at KMWorld in Santa Clara on Oct. 26. The company said that Entopia K-Bus 3 is the only comprehensive infrastructure that captures the essence of enterprise content from both structured and unstructured information sources, as well as all employee interaction around the content, such as reading, writing, discussing, e-mailing, and printing. It also provides security and access controls. By converting all of this information into a single, unified language, Entopia can deliver personalized search results.
Entopia's patented technology captures the vital elements of business knowledge and collaboration by connecting to all content resources. It also looks at the concepts, context, and usage of the information by employees. Entopia K-Bus 3 consists of the following components:
- Enterprise Content Connectors: A broad array of pre-built native connectors to the most widely deployed enterprise data sources, including content repositories, transactional applications, e-mail systems, newsfeeds, and more.
- K-Bus Metadata Repository: K-Bus aggregates and maps all of the valuable information about the data to provide a centralized, harmonized representation of all enterprisewide content.
- Information Discovery Application Services: Proprietary information discovery algorithms leverage K-Bus 3's metadata to deliver business insight through enterprise search, expertise location, content visualization, and social network mapping.
Source: Entopia, Inc.
Dialog Enhances DataStar Services
Dialog, a Thomson business, said that it has completed a series of enhancements to its family of Dialog DataStar services that help its users better focus the search process, stay up-to-date with relevant new content, and integrate research into their work flow. Dialog DataStar services, used primarily for in-depth scientific and technical research, are offered in varying versions geared to different types of researchers and the online environments in which they work.
Dialog said that its enhancements to Dialog DataStar include:
- New post-processing tools, available on Dialog DataStarWeb and Dialog DataStarClassic: Users now have more flexibility to integrate retrieved information into text and data documents, such as in-house management reports or tables in research studies.
- Thesaurus upgrade on Dialog DataStarWeb: Dialog has improved search navigation for all biomedical databases that offer an online thesaurus, including EMBASE, MEDLINE, and Cinahl. New graphics and links have been added.
- New alert delivery tracker, available on all versions of Dialog DataStar: Improvements include verification if alerts or document deliveries have been completed successfully and tools to correct errors.
- Multiple file alerting, available on the Dialog DataStarWeb service: Users now have improved ability to set up and edit multiple alerts spanning different databases available through the service.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor