|Weekly News Digest
November 14, 2019 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITI’s Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
The Library of Congress Provides an Update on Its Digital Content Initiatives
A Library of Congress’ blog, The Signal, featured a guest post from Joe Puccio, collection development officer in the Collection Development Office. Puccio writes, “In January 2017, the Library of Congress adopted a set of strategic steps related to its acquisition of digital content. ... This five-year plan … is described in Collecting Digital Content at the Library of Congress. … With the program implementation well into its third year, … [t]he remaining work is either awaiting start-up, is already in process or is being adjusted to meet the ever changing landscape of digital collecting.”
He lists the program’s accomplishments, including the following:
- Registration of newspaper e-prints was established by the Copyright Office, and system development was completed to make the content available onsite to the Library’s users.
- A first-ever formal assessment of the Library’s purchased and leased electronic resources collection was conducted.
- The Library developed a model electronic resources license agreement, which it has used with several vendors.
- Web archiving was piloted as a method to acquire state government documents that were formerly received by the Library in print.
- Multiple pilots to acquire open access monographs were successfully completed. …
For more information, read the blog post.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor