|Weekly News Digest
December 20, 2012 — In addition to this week's NewsBreak(s), the editors have compiled the Weekly News Digest, featuring stories from the week just past that you should know about. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today.
CLICK HERE to view all of this week's Weekly News Digest items.
Summon Service to Index Content From German Publishers
Serials Solutions, a ProQuest business, announced that the company is working with several German publishers to index their scholarly content in the Summon discovery service. This German-language content is among the most widely subscribed to by academic institutions in Germany, as well as many libraries worldwide, and includes resources covering law, life sciences, and the humanities.
Content to be indexed from five leading publishers includes the following:
- Makrolog Content Management AG will make the contents of its Recht für Deutschland database available for indexing in the Summon service. The largest collection of German law gazettes, it includes a historical collection, federal collection and a complete German regional/state collection. Recht für Deutschland also contains the entire body of European Law.
- Lexxion Verlagsgesellschaft mbH will allow full-text indexing of their 12 legal journals, which offer extensive coverage of topics within environmental law among other legal specialties.
- Schweizerbart Science Publishers and Borntraeger Science Publishers, two affiliated publishing houses, will provide metadata from their collections of German-language life-science journals. Combined, this rich collection comprises several dozen titles.
- Georg Olms Verlag AG will include the content from their Olms Online resource in the Summon service. Olms Online includes more than 400 volumes spanning German literature, literary studies, philosophical works, and other subjects in the humanities. These works are reprints augmented with new scholarly content such as introductions, afterwords, notes, and indexes. Moving forward, all new single publications from the publisher’s 2013 catalog will be included as well.
- Vandenhoeck & Rupprecht will allow indexing of their 30 German-language journals and all ebooks. With a focus on theology and religion, psychology, history and other humanities, they publish approximately 250 new titles annually.
Working with these publishers, Serials Solutions continues its commitment to make the work of German scholars more discoverable, for the benefit of institutions in Germany and researchers using the Summon service around the world. The Summon service offers search and relevancy that is optimized for German-language content which delivers more precision for native language researchers than traditional databases and other discovery services. The Summon service is used by more than 500 libraries in more than 40 countries.
Source: Serials Solutions
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor