|Weekly News Digest
August 1, 2011 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Submit Your Ideas on IMLS's Strategic Plan
The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) wants your ideas on how it can carry out its statutory responsibility “to support museum, library, and information services to meet the information, education, research, economic, cultural, and civic needs of the people of the United States.” It is currently working on a 5-year strategic plan.
The plan is required by the Government Performance and Results Act. The Administration has asked agencies to focus on three performance improvement strategies:
- Using performance information to lead, learn, and improve outcomes
- Communicating performance coherently and concisely for better results and transparency
- Strengthening problem-solving networks, inside and outside government, to improve outcomes and performance management practices
Your input is needed to help it examine all its grant programs, research, and leadership initiatives to assure that it continues to meet the evolving needs of the American public.
Through discussions with the National Museum and Library Services Board, IMLS stakeholders, and the public, it has developed five strategic questions to help envision future services. Using a social media tool called IdeaScale, it has invited the public to suggest answers to these questions, read the comments others have provided, and vote on the ideas that have the greatest merit. The comment period will continue until Friday, August 12.
Five Strategic Questions
How can IMLS leverage its resources, position, reputation, and relationships to...
- Promote effective public access to physical and digital content?
- Promote policy that sustains information access for the American public?
- Support lifelong learning for a competitive workforce and engaged public?
- Promote museums and libraries as community anchor institutions?
- Achieve excellence in public management?
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor