|Weekly News Digest
July 13, 2009 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
SirsiDynix Releases Enhanced Library Tools
SirsiDynix (www.sirsidynix.com) announced the release of SirsiDynix Symphony 3.3. Symphony, the company's integrated library system (ILS) that is used by more than 2,400 libraries in 47 countries serving more than 150 million users. The SirsiDynix Symphony 3.3 release contains a number of features to increase overall staff efficiency, including the following:
- Acquisitions Vendor Interface Port (VIP)-VIP simplifies the process of ordering materials from VIP-compliant vendors and automatically creates bibliographic records for the ordered materials.
- Enhanced Usability Wizards-New task wizards simplify complex or repetitive tasks and make it easier to use the library system.
- Group Item Circulation-The new Group Item Circulation feature simplifies handling of materials for study groups, book clubs, and multipiece kits.
- Enhanced Personalization for Users-Users can specify preferred names or privacy-enhancing nicknames and keep permanent reading lists and bibliographies.
- Automated Print Options-New automated printing options for items such as workslips and labels speeds processes for adding new materials to the collection.
- SIP2 Patron Authentication-Libraries can capture remote patron usage data to build usage and funding models.
- StaffWeb Client-Symphony StaffWeb has been enhanced to include features for all library types.
- Horizon and Dynix Migrations-All SirsiDynix customers will benefit from many new features suggested via enhancement forums along with capabilities inspired by the SirsiDynix Horizon and Dynix platforms.
SirsiDynix also announced the release of SirsiDynix Web Reporter 3.3 for Oracle. Web Reporter is an easy-to-use, web-based reporting solution that takes advantage of MicroStrategy enterprise-level reporting tools. Librarians gain insight into the daily operations at their libraries by using Web Reporter's convenience, power, and flexibility to turn operational metrics into actionable data. The new version has new report templates, new reporting attributes and metrics, additional filters, and more.
The company also announced SirsiDynix Enterprise 3.0, which offers users a single "search well" to discover all the resources the library makes available. Those resources can include one or more library catalogs, digital collections, selected websites, and federated resources.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor