|Weekly News Digest
July 7, 2011 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
SirsiDynix Announces SirsiDynix Portfolio 4.1 Digital Asset Management
SirsiDynix has announced the release of version 4.1 of its SirsiDynix Portfolio digital asset management solution. The Portfolio solution builds upon SirsiDynix Enterprise search and discovery, adding digital asset management capabilities, optical character recognition (OCR) technology, Open Archives Initiative compatibility for web harvesting, and classified security capabilities for restricting visibility of confidential materials by user or group.
The Portfolio solution is designed for a broad swath of libraries, and it has the toolset to reflect that. State and public libraries utilize Portfolio digital asset management to make unique local collections available to their community and beyond, while academic and special libraries utilize the Portfolio toolset to centralize digital information and tools for simplified search and content management.
With the Portfolio solution, libraries of varying types and missions are empowered to do the following:
- Gain relevance beyond the library community by exposing digital content to web crawlers through OAI-PMH compliance
- Provide full-spectrum search results and enable access to previously unsearchable items through in-text (OCR) search and optional harvesting of library-selected websites or external resource
- Localize record-keeping with customizable metadata fields, and ability to cross-link an unlimited number of records for easy reference
- Organize and share multimedia collections including PDFs, video, audio, web pages and more, and preserve historical collections with support for major standards for the archivist
- Restrict or limit access to protected assets, item-by-item or batch, through the Portfolio platform’s accountability control settings. Optional access control and authentication management features can also accommodate different viewing privileges by individual user, group, or location.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor