|Weekly News Digest
November 2, 2009 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Safari Books Online 6.0 Offers Improved Usability
Safari Books Online (www.safaribooksonline.com), an on-demand digital library for technology, digital media, and business professionals, announced the launch of Safari Books Online 6.0. This new product release features new functionality such as an interactive reading experience, dynamic content categorization, community and collaboration features, and enhanced search functionality.
The following is a list of Safari Books Online 6.0 features:
- Search Optimization-Improved search functionality makes it easy to find all content in the digital library, including text, video, and curriculum guides. A new interface also enables users to read the content while keeping the list of search results in view.
- Advanced Search-Enhanced advanced search query capability enables the building of search rules through a simple dialogue box.
- Collaboration-Shared folders, search results, and notes allow workgroup users to network with other users about topics of interest, recommend content, and discover additional titles favored by experts in the field. In addition, the "Review This Book" feature allows subscribers to comment on a book or write a complete review. All "Review This Book" entries are public and can be seen by all site visitors, with or without a subscription.
- Expanded Ratings-This version offers both an Amazon rating and Safari Books Online user-generated ratings on books and videos in the digital library in order to ensure that users are finding the best materials available from trustworthy sources.
- Personalization-Users can now create personal folders and save search preferences to categorize material in the digital library, enabling them to find and store titles of interest more quickly. Users can create and attach notes to a book or a page, highlight text and attach notes to that text, and print notes and highlights in a custom summary.
- Enhanced Readability-This feature gives users the ability to make inline notes in the text they are reading, dog ear or bookmark specific pages, and share these notes with other team members.
- Mobility-Safari Books Online's mobile-friendly website ensures that subscribers can read books wherever they are. And now, PDFs downloaded from Safari Books Online are optimized for mobile devices, computers, and other reading devices.
Safari Books Online's entire collection of more than 8,000 books, training videos, rough cuts, short cuts, and articles is available online in PDFs for chapter and whole-book downloads or from your mobile device. Safari Books Online is a joint venture between O'Reilly Media, Inc. (www.oreilly.com) and Pearson Education (www.pearson.com).
Source: Safari Books Online
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor