|Weekly News Digest
January 18, 2011 — In addition to this week's NewsBreak(s), the editors have compiled the Weekly News Digest, featuring stories from the week just past that you should know about. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today.
CLICK HERE to view all of this week's Weekly News Digest items.
Oxford University Press Introduces Cross-University Platform for Monographs
Oxford University Press (OUP) has announced a new online platform for university press monograph content. Having redeveloped the Oxford Scholarship Online platform, OUP is launching University Press Scholarship Online (UPSO) and inviting the University Press community to take advantage of a fully enabled XML environment with search and discovery functionality.
Responding to increased demand for online scholarly content, UPSO streamlines the research process by making disparately published monographs easily accessible, highly discoverable, and fully cross-searchable via one online platform. Research that previously would have required users to jump between a variety of books and disconnected websites can now be concentrated through a single search engine.
UPSO creates an individually-branded home for monographs from each participating university press just as it has done for Oxford Scholarship Online while allowing highly intuitive tools to deep search across all the content in the program.
Benefits of UPSO for academics, libraries, and partner presses include the following:
- Provides the highest quality scholarly content in all subject areas
- Fully cross-referenced and cross-searchable, with clickable citations from bibliographies and footnotes, including OpenURL and DOI-linking support, and more
- Allows users to streamline research through a single online platform
- Enables libraries to reduce subscriptions to multiple smaller websites
- Can be easily integrated into library systems and updated frequently with new content
- Offers full customer support services as well as flexibility and choice in purchasing models
- Increases discoverability and usage of university press scholarly materials
- Offers university presses the unique opportunity to create an XML digital workflow and join a highly successful online scholarship platform, reaching the global academic market at low distribution costs
A pilot program with Fordham University Press is launching in March 2011, and OUP is in talks with a number of university presses for a full launch in fall 2011. A marketing destination site, explaining the full range of benefits of UPSO in greater depth, is coming in February 2011 at http://www.aboutupso.com.
Source: Oxford University Press
Paula J. Hane
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks editor