|Weekly News Digest
February 19, 2015 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
New Report Shows Importance of Monitoring the Dark Web
The Global Commission on Internet Governance issued a working paper, “The Impact of the Dark Web on Internet Governance and Cyber Security,” which reports that insights on the deep web—and its subset, the dark web—must be considered when formulating comprehensive strategies and policies for governing the internet.
The paper recommends the following efforts to monitor the dark web:
- mapping the hidden services directory by deploying nodes in the DHT [distributed hash table];
- customer data monitoring by looking for connections to non-standard domains;
- social site monitoring to spot message exchanges containing new Dark Web domains;
- hidden service monitoring of new sites for ongoing or later analysis;
- semantic analysis to track future illegal activities and malicious actors;
- marketplace profiling to gather information about sellers, users and the kinds of [goods] exchanged.
For more information, read the press release.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor