|Weekly News Digest
April 9, 2009 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Maponics Releases Spatial API for Local Search and Mapping
Maponics, LLC (www.maponics.com), a provider of highly local geographic data, announced the official release of the Maponics Spatial API (application programming interface; http://api.maponics.com). Now, even businesses with small or nonexistent geographic data management capabilities can offer cutting-edge, web-based local search and mapping, without making significant GIS (geographic information system) infrastructure investments. Businesses can now have access to neighborhood, ZIP code, and carrier route boundary data that they don't have to host or manage.
infoUSA.com, AccuData, Trulia, Pitney Bowes MapInfo, Dominion Enterprises (eNeighborhoods and Homes.com), Zip-Codes.com, and Citysearch are among the industry giants for which Maponics' data improves local search and mapping. Most Maponics data sets are now available for quarterly data delivery in common file formats or through the Maponics Spatial API.
Drawing on the available data sets, the specific queries supported by the Maponics Spatial API include the following:
- List of neighborhoods, ZIP codes, or carrier routes closest to a location point
- Neighborhood, ZIP code, or carrier route in which a latitude and longitude point or typed address falls
- List of neighborhoods, ZIP codes, or carrier routes within a city, state, or radius
- Neighborhood, ZIP code, or carrier route boundary (ready to map latitude and longitude points) surrounding a given address or location point
- Many more, including custom data retrievals related to neighborhoods, ZIP codes, and carrier routes
Source: Maponics, LLC
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor