|Weekly News Digest
July 6, 2010 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Life Sciences Publisher CABI Announces Enhancements to CAB Direct
Life sciences publisher CABI has announced enhancements to its flagship delivery platform, CAB Direct. These include search functionalities, improved facilities for record-marking and manipulation, one-click export compatibility for citations, an XML gateway for federated search connections, and compliance with Shibboleth 2.0.
Working with technology partner Semantico, a provider of services for online publishing, CABI has issued this latest release to CAB Direct following its complete relaunch in June 2009. Containing more than 8.8 million bibliographic records and more than 85,000 full-text articles, CAB Direct aims to be the most thorough and extensive source of reference in the applied life sciences.
Many of the enhancements have been developed in response to customer feedback.
- Records now remain permanently marked throughout a user's entire search session, remaining visible as a user moves from one search and set of search results to a new search and set of search results
- Users can select up to 1,000 records from their search results for further manipulation, to print, export, or email, and can save up to 500 records permanently
- Titles can be located and linked to on Amazon for purchase by the user
- Users can now export citations or full abstracts from CAB Direct thanks to one-click direct export compatibility with the web-based citation management and collaboration tools, RefWorks and EndNote Web
- An XML gateway for federated search connections, CABDirect MXG, will support simple and complex Boolean queries for any search fields in CAB Direct, including author, title, subject, abstract, keyword, and publication year. This enables CAB Direct to be searched alongside other databases, sources, and platforms.
This release also includes an upgrade to the very latest version of SOLR (1.4.1)-the search engine that enables CAB Direct to return search results across 8.8 million records in a tenth of a second.
CABI is a not-for-profit science-based development and information organization that just celebrated its 100th anniversary. CABI's mission is to improve people's lives worldwide by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor