|Weekly News Digest
January 24, 2005 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
LexisNexis Introduces New PatentOptimizer Application
LexisNexis (http://www.lexisnexis.com) introduced LexisNexis PatentOptimizer, a new software application for the drafting and analysis of patent applications and granted patents, designed for corporate counsel and intellectual property lawyers. Closely tied to the LexisNexis services at lexis.com, PatentOptimizer allows users to see patents and cases that have referenced key terms in their patents and to link to them directly. PatentOptimizer also allows users to analyze and produce reports on key-term usage across claims and descriptions.
The software integrates with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Internet Explorer for application analysis and dissection while drafting. Other features include the following:
- Patent Citation automatically looks up the title, inventor, country, and issue date of patent numbers in the document; it also links to the full text of the patent.
- Users can check highlighted terms for prior usage in other patents, case law references, and suggested alternative terms with the option to generate reports detailing all three term-analysis features. Patents and cases are a click away on lexis.com.
- The Mark feature automatically loads the Attorney's Dictionary of Patent Claims and Elsevier Science's Compendex publications and then scans the patent and highlights relevant terms that match.
- With Check Claims, users quickly see terms used in claims that are not used in the description, as well as the various claims each term is used in and a hierarchy of term usage across independent and dependent claims with optional reports generated in one click.
- Users can confirm consistent language across part descriptive labels and conveniently modify labels and part reference numerals as needed with Check Figures.
- The Drafting Options allow for customization of various components while drafting, for easier conversion to United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)-compliant documents.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor