|Weekly News Digest
March 11, 2021 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Kanopy Studies Streaming Video in Academic Libraries
Kanopy released the results of its survey of more than 800 mostly U.S.-based academic librarians, who responded to questions about streaming video trends and challenges. There has been an increasing demand for streaming video options for faculty members and students during the pandemic, and this trend is expected to continue after it ends. Other findings include the following:
- 77.2% of survey respondents say diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are “extremely” to “very” important to which streaming videos are offered.
- 25.8% believe they are fully meeting the need for DEI content.
- 24.7% name perpetual access as their favorite acquisition model, with patron- or demand-driven-acquisition the least popular, at 14.9%.
- 16.3% say faculty recommendations is the leading method for video discovery, with the library catalog next, at 15.6%.
- 68.2% believe that incorporating streaming video into class assignments helps with student engagement.
- 52% don’t think it’s the library’s responsibility to provide streaming video for entertainment purposes.
For more information, read the press release.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor