|Weekly News Digest
January 17, 2012 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Introducing Mendeley Institutional Edition Powered by Swets
Information services provider Swets and Mendeley, creators of the online reference management and academic social networking tool, announced the launch of Mendeley Institutional Edition powered by Swets. It provides an operating place within the Mendeley platform from which librarians can guide, support, and facilitate the research undertaken across their institution.
Building on the existing Mendeley functionalities, this multi-device solution provides librarians and institutions with a means to do the following:
- Connect their collections directly to researchers and end users
- Support researchers within their own workflow
- Create pathways for collaboration and interaction among students, professors, and their peers
- Monitor, support, and facilitate the research undertaken within their institution
- Showcase the value of their institutions to potential students and research staff
With more than 1.4 million active users Mendeley has quickly established itself as a must-have research tool among academic students, professors and researchers around the globe. It contains the world’s largest crowd-sourced information library, with more than 145 million documents. Although the software has opened up new pathways for collaboration and interaction between individual students and researchers in similar fields around the world, those researchers could still benefit from the knowledge, guidance, and expertise of the traditional library. Mendeley Institutional Edition powered by Swets addresses this need.
Within their institutional profile, librarians can assist their users in a number of ways:
- Upload their A-Z list of titles
- Have teachers set up course packs to direct students to important content
- Utilize link resolvers to facilitate speedy access paths to information
- Increase the reach of researchers by helping them share their content
- Discover peers in similar research fields
- Create the library’s own citation style, or adopt a standard
A free demonstration of the premium version of Mendeley Institutional Edition powered by Swets can be requested at http://www.swets.com/mendeley.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor