|Weekly News Digest
June 17, 2014 — In addition to this week's NewsBreak(s), the editors have compiled the Weekly News Digest, featuring stories from the week just past that you should know about. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today.
CLICK HERE to view all of this week's Weekly News Digest items.
Institutions Gain Altmetric Functionality
The Altmetric for Institutions web-based software application debuted as a way for higher education institutions to monitor and report on research impact using more detailed analysis than traditional citation metrics. Altmetric collates scholarly article mentions across social media, blog posts, public policy documents, and other online sources. It created this new tool with input from global academic establishments.
Librarians, research administrators, communication officers, and faculty can use the tool to track and evaluate the dissemination of research by:
- Browsing or searching collated mentions of academic papers
- Assessing early-stage impact of papers
- Identifying influencers to provide evidence of impact for improving the research process, funding applications, etc.
- Tracking attention for specific projects or groups at the departmental and researcher levels
- Monitoring (filtering, reporting, and analyzing) data and exporting the results to Excel format or PDF
- Integrating with existing institutional repositories and other systems
- Accessing visualizations of scores measuring the quantity and quality of attention for research
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor