|Weekly News Digest
October 20, 2020 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
IFLA Signs Documents for Promoting Digital Inclusion and Access
IFLA shared that it is supporting two documents that address the digital divide. The first, Libraries in Response: Every Community Connected, is a call to action for governments to do the following:
- Ensure that each community has access to at least one publicly-available, adequately connected, no-fee internet access point, and that every school has access to an online or offline library.
- Mobilize libraries to act as community labs for action research, improving how we connect, protect and respect each other, and work together to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- Ensure adequate trained staffing and access to equipment for libraries and other community anchor institutions to provide a safe and secure access point to networks, respectful of privacy, and support for digital skills and education throughout life, enabling people to learn, earn and thrive.
The second is IFLA’s Library Pledge on Promoting Digital Inclusion (IFLA encourages others to sign it here), which asserts the following:
- We pledge to promote the best possible internet access for communities, reliably and at no or low cost, so that no-one should lack connectivity for financial reasons
- We pledge to promote the widest possible access to relevant digital content and services, supporting education, research, and economic, social and cultural participation
- We pledge to promote the strongest possible support for the development of digital skills, giving users the ability to be successful and confident internet users
- We pledge to promote equitable broadband policies at all levels
For more information, read the news item.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor