|Weekly News Digest
May 2, 2011 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Gale Launches Gale World Scholar: Latin America and the Caribbean
Gale, part of Cengage Learning, announced Gale World Scholar: Latin America and the Caribbean, the first in a new family of Gale World Scholar regional studies-based electronic resources. A new product category for libraries, Gale World Scholar marks the first time any publisher is combining historical and contemporary reference and archival materials with current events in a contextual manner. Gale pre-announced the series at ALA midwinter.
With the new Gale World Scholar resources, Gale aims to provide a captivating and comprehensive picture of a particular region of the world, including insight into daily life, culture, traditions, its inhabitants, and a detailed chronicle of past and present from a historical and contemporary perspective—in a searchable, digital format.
Gale World Scholar includes primary source content from a network of U.S. and foreign libraries and institutions. Geared to the academic researcher, it will be used by undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty in a multitude of disciplines, including programs in area studies, history, political science, international relations, anthropology, sociology, economics, environmental studies, cultural studies, literature, music, the arts, and religion.
Highlights of Gale World Scholar include the following:
- Hundreds of major topics, issues and people, covered in great depth and from multiple viewpoints
- Relevant archival material (monographs, manuscripts, maps, pamphlets and newspapers), including never-before-digitized documents
- Scholarly journals, newspapers and periodicals, dynamically updated
- Documents in multiple languages, including Spanish and Portuguese, as well as translation tools
- Excellent introductions to topics written by scholars
- An interactive statistical modeling tool using figures from more than 25 international organizations, giving users the ability to visualize data and analyze trends on economics, health, demographics, and other topics. Users can select specific variables, such as growth rate of GDP per person, unemployment rates, or other indicators, to create customized charts and graphs, which they can download and use in presentations or assignments
- Dynamic multimedia end-user experience through interactive maps, audio/video, images, think-tank and policy studies, and more
- Fast-flip feature for browsing historical documents
- Customizable purchase and subscription options to meet each unique institutional need and budget
Gale World Scholar resources are planned for other regions as well, including the Middle East, China, South East Asia, India, and Africa.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor