|Weekly News Digest
November 8, 2012 — In addition to this week's NewsBreak(s), the editors have compiled the Weekly News Digest, featuring stories from the week just past that you should know about. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today.
CLICK HERE to view all of this week's Weekly News Digest items.
Ex Libris Releases Voyager 8.2
Ex Libris Group, a provider of library automation solutions, announced the release of the Voyager 8.2 integrated library system (ILS). This version contains numerous enhancements in all areas of Voyager functionality.
Highlights of version 8.2 include the following:
- Tighter integration with the Primo discovery and delivery solution, rendering collections more “discoverable.” Library users can now browse by title, author, subject, and call number in Primo without switching to the library’s OPAC interface.
- Additional search indexes. Reflecting changes in the MARC 21 standard, almost 100 search indexes have been added or updated in Voyager. This enhancement paves the way for libraries to implement the newly published Resource Description and Access (RDA) cataloging rules.
- New capabilities for the exchange of patron information with other systems across the institution. Based on an XML framework, this new functionality enables libraries to increase the information that can be stored and shared in Voyager.
- Enhancements that enable libraries to customize the security requirements for staff users. Along with the options that were available up to now, Voyager offers account lockout policies and audit trails to control authorized access.
- A wide range of customer-requested enhancements, including improvements to streamline workflow activities related to circulation, cataloging, acquisitions, and serials
The new version of Voyager was tested by numerous user institutions, including the United States Library of Congress; the Colorado School of Mines; UCLA; and the National Library of Australia. Their feedback contributed to refining the released software.
Source: Ex Libris Group
Paula J. Hane
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks editor