|Weekly News Digest
October 23, 2006 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Blackwell and ebrary Partner to Deliver E-Books
Blackwell (http://www.blackwell.com) and ebrary, Inc. (http://www.ebrary.com) announced the launch of ECHO, a new e-content hosting platform for libraries. With ECHO, librarians worldwide can purchase and manage e-book and print collections within their current acquisitions work flows. Powered by ebrary, ECHO provides a way for librarians to preview a growing selection of full-text e-books, select from either multiple- or single-user access for the majority of titles, and purchase titles instantly through Blackwell's Collection Manager.
Blackwell and ebrary are collaborating to aggregate current and high-value e-content from leading academic, STM (scientific, technical, and medical), and professional publishers. E-books delivered through ECHO feature unique research tools and integrate with other digital resources in the library and on the Web through ebrary's InfoTools software. They are also delivered page by page online, eliminating cumbersome document downloads.
Key features and benefits of the ECHO platform include the following:
Source: ebrary, Inc. and Blackwell
- Access to a growing selection of tens of thousands of titles from more than 220 publishers
- Selection of either single- or multiple-user access for the majority of titles
- Collection Manager work-flow integration and consolidated billing
- Access to a full-text preview of a title before making a purchasing decision
- Integration with other digital resources in the library and on the Web through InfoTools
- 24/7/365 accessibility
- Comprehensive search options
- Copying and printing text with automatic citations with a URL hyperlink back to the source
- Reduced overhead costs through a hosted solution
- Expanded library collection capacity unrestricted by physical space constraints
- Reduced risk of loss due to damage or theft
- Support of distance learning
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor