|Weekly News Digest
September 24, 2012 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
Aptara Ebook Survey of Publishers Now Available
The results of the 4th Annual eBook Production Survey are now available. Issued in April 2012 and sponsored by Publishers Weekly magazine and Aptara, the survey tracks the ebook publishing trends, challenges, and strategies that have emerged since 2009 when the ebook market began taking shape. The surveys represent the Trade, Education, Professional, and Corporate publishing sectors.
Excerpts from the 4th eBook Survey of Publishers findings include the following:
- 4 out of 5 publishers now produce ebooks, a remarkable 30% increase in 3 years
- 36% of ebook publishers are realizing double-digit annual ebook revenues, an astonishing 100% increase (in publishers) since last year
- 31% of ebook publishers produce enhanced ebooks, though only 12% correlate the enhancements with a positive impact on sales
- Amazon is the most lucrative ebook sales channel. Publishers’ own websites come in a distant second place for generating the most ebook sales
- 60% of ebook publishers still employ print-based editorial and production workflows that add time and cost to each ebook
- More than half of publishers’ content is going to “digital waste”: 65% of ebook publishers have converted less than half of their legacy titles (backlist) into ebooks
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor