|Weekly News Digest
August 9, 2022 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
APA Creates Action Plan to Work Toward Racial Equity
The American Psychological Association (APA) adopted a Racial Equity Action Plan to guide the organization and the psychology profession in prioritizing and operationalizing the commitments APA made after acknowledging its role in contributing to racism. The plan was passed by APA’s governing body with a vote of 149-8 and two abstentions.
The plan has five sections: Knowledge Production, Health, APA/Workforce, Training of Psychologists, and Education. The actions it recommends include the following:
- Ensure equitable representation of scholars of color in scientific and scholarly leadership positions including, but not limited to, peer review panels and editorial boards.
- Redesign traditional methodologies used to conduct, review, communicate, disseminate and report psychological research to ensure equity, diversity and inclusion, including expanding ways that the psychology community documents scientific, scholarly and social impact.
- Disseminate and promote the use of race-conscious, trauma-informed mental health information with community stakeholders including, but not limited to, frontline workers, grassroots community organizations and advocates.
- Improve the psychology workforce talent pool by advocating for inclusive recruitment, hiring, pay equity and promotion practices that attract, retain and advance racially and ethnically diverse people.
- Encourage and endorse the teaching of the history of racism in the U.S. to prepare all preschool to higher education students to think critically about identity, community and civics.
For more information, read the press release.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor