|Weekly News Digest
July 21, 2020 — In addition to this week's NewsBreaks article and the monthly NewsLink Spotlight, Information Today, Inc. (ITI) offers Weekly News Digests that feature recent product news and company announcements. Watch for additional coverage to appear in the next print issue of Information Today. For other up-to-the-minute news, check out ITIís Twitter account: @ITINewsBreaks.
CLICK HERE to view more Weekly News Digest items.
ALA President Goes on Virtual Tour of U.S. Libraries
ALA’s president, Julius C. Jefferson Jr., will embark on a 10-day, 12-stop virtual Holding Space tour of libraries across the U.S. “At each stop on the tour, Jefferson will meet with library leaders, state and local partners, elected officials and other community influencers to cover a vast terrain of issues facing a broad range of institutions, including libraries at Historically Black Colleges and Universities, other academic libraries, school libraries, Tribal libraries and public libraries,” ALA notes.
“Collectively, these conversations are an opportunity for ALA to listen and learn as well [as] elevate the innovative work of the 12 libraries I visit,” Jefferson says. “Originally, I’d envisioned a bus tour, a sort of library celebration on wheels. But this virtual format allows us to critically examine our cultural moment through the lens of the most pressing issues in our profession.”
He continues, “Libraries are improving lives every day, providing internet access to underserved communities, helping people find jobs and build careers, empowering students as they develop literacy skills that will lead to lifelong learning. Many of these successes take place in the shadows. Their stories need to be told, their professional organization and local community need to listen, and their elected leaders need to support them.”
The Holding Space tour consists of the following stops:
- July 27: Tour kickoff at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.—Holding Space: A National Conversation Series With Libraries
- July 27: Cambria County Library, Pa.—Stronger Together for Workforce Development
- July 28: Muskingum County Library, Ohio—Keeping Communities Connected in Ohio and Beyond
- July 29: Nashville Public Library, Tenn.—Leveraging Place to Engage Community
- July 30: University of Arkansas–Pine Bluff, Ark.—Strengthening Communities and Developing Leaders at HBCU Libraries
- July 31: Lubbock ISD, Texas—Learning in Many Dimensions With Texas School Librarians
- Aug. 3: Pioneer Public Library, Okla.—Partnering to Advance Career and Workforce Development
- Aug.4: Santo Domingo Pueblo Library, N.M.—The Imperative of Broadband for Tribal Libraries
- Aug. 5: Cordes Lake Public Library, Ariz.—From Interior to Border: Libraries Reaching Rural Communities
- Aug. 6: Nevada State Library, Nev.—Learn and Earn: Nevada Libraries Harness Virtual 3-D for Education and Careers
- Aug. 7: Oakland Public Library, Calif.—Listen to the Kids: Youth- and Family-Centered Practices at Oakland Public Library
- Aug. 7: Closing celebration in Hawaii—Spirit of Aloha: Hawaii Libraries Light the Path
For more information, read the press release.
Send correspondence concerning the Weekly News Digest to NewsBreaks Editor